Howdy, and is there a NABU Discord server?

New members, introduce yourselves here and post a picture of your NABU setup.
RetroJoe

Howdy, and is there a NABU Discord server?

Post by RetroJoe »

Hi, folks! Just picked up a NABU on Ebay. I haven't fired it up yet nor built an adapter, but did order a RS-422 and have a bunch of MIDI cables at home! Thrilled to to get connected with the community here. On that note, is there a also Discord server I can join? There appears to be references to it in a few forum posts, but I can't seem to find an active link or invite. Ideally, one day, the entire NABU community will be using the NABU devices and network itself, but there is the proverbial bootstrapping hurdle to get over first :)
LeoBinkowski

Re: Howdy, and is there a NABU Discord server?

Post by LeoBinkowski »

There is a discord. I think I got the address from the vcf forums. I usually visit once a day to see if anything interesting occurred.

The last link I saw for it was: https://discord.com/invite/NgxTXvND2A
RetroJoe

Post by RetroJoe »

Thanks! From what I've gathered so far, aren't you one of the NABU community members who actually makes interesting things occur? :)

FYI, got my NABU unit plugged in and "failing" at the right place because of the missing adapter, so the HW seems to be fine, except the cooling fan is rattling around a bit.

On to Step 2 and building a 422 adapter. On that note, the fact that there is a serial port on the NABU unit is a bit of a lucky break to get these things connected to the Internets, but I am surprised that the original deployment required a second unit to house the cable modem. You would think that with the formidable bulk of the case, they could have figured out how to tuck a cable modem inside a single set-top box, especially as it already has coax connectors.

Anyway, hopefully next time you hear from me will be via the NABU network!
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

RetroJoe wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:02 pm Thanks! From what I've gathered so far, aren't you one of the NABU community members who actually makes interesting things occur? :)

FYI, got my NABU unit plugged in and "failing" at the right place because of the missing adapter, so the HW seems to be fine, except the cooling fan is rattling around a bit.

On to Step 2 and building a 422 adapter. On that note, the fact that there is a serial port on the NABU unit is a bit of a lucky break to get these things connected to the Internets, but I am surprised that the original deployment required a second unit to house the cable modem. You would think that with the formidable bulk of the case, they could have figured out how to tuck a cable modem inside a single set-top box, especially as it already has coax connectors.

Other communication types were planned. There was a pots modem, satellite receiver, and even an fm receiver.
C128 Guy

Post by C128 Guy »

The old discord have been toxic, I'd recommend sharing information here. Discord is also a terrible platform to search and lives "in the moment".
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:15 pm
RetroJoe wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:02 pm Thanks! From what I've gathered so far, aren't you one of the NABU community members who actually makes interesting things occur? :)

Other communication types were planned. There was a pots modem, satellite receiver, and even an fm receiver.
DJ, you mentioned a new discord server in your new video? what is that?
NABU Away! and going strong so far...
www.amigaretro.com
AGMS

Post by AGMS »

Someone mentioned a new Discord server in the Scammers post, viewtopic.php?p=1243 Don’t know if it it legitimate.
LeoBinkowski

Post by LeoBinkowski »

I've made a permanent link to the NABU discord server:

https://discord.gg/eBQuhPXGAQ