Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
allinretro

Re: Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

Post by allinretro »

I just thought it would be a cool use for an old network adapter box. 2 NABU boxes stacked is twice as cool as just the computer by itself. ;) Feeding the RS422 straight from IP would definitely give flexibility to move it about without having to have a Computer close by.
superbenk

Re: Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

Post by superbenk »

masto wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:31 am I assume the reason for putting something in an old adaptor box is to avoid the cable tethering it to your computer. IMO, a more flexible approach to put in the box would be an RS422 to ethernet bridge. I'm using this one with my NABU and it works well.

Then you can basically run any IA (that supports TCP) elsewhere on your network and control the show from there. I have nabud on my linux container server in the closet.
I know henryr was using a wifi modem setup:

viewtopic.php?t=31

There's also the hack of the TR1863P to get direct RS232 which could probably be modified to use an ESP8622/ESP32/PicoW or something to do serial over wifi:

I'm not nearly smart enough to know all the details but that's been an idea I've thought about (probably already been done by a bunch of people). @masto, looks like you already played with this one:

Throwing an RPi in the case running the IA would be nice just for keeping things self-contained but RPis aren't so easy to come by these days. Having wifi RS232/RS422 to a remote IA in the closet would be a nice alternative.
- Ben