MAME not connecting to Internet adapter

The MAME NABU Emulator originally created by BriJohn
c1ph3rpunk

MAME not connecting to Internet adapter

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

I have the NABU Internet Adapter running locally on my Win10 machine, and it works to serve serial connections to a physical NABU. I pulled down the MAME emulator from https://gtamp.com/nabu/, started up the tcp server in the adapter on port 5816, the following is the batch file for starting MAME:

Code: Select all

mame nabupc -window -kbd nabu_hle -hcca null_modem -bitb socket.127.0.0.1:5816
Which is the default.

Start up MAME and I never see anything connect to the TCP socket on the Adapter. I can telnet to port 5816, both locally and using the DHCP IP of my NIC, disabled Windows Firewall, on all profiles, and still don't see anything hit the Internet Adapter. Tried setting the startup in the CMD file to be the IP on the NIC, same results.

Any ideas?
DJ Sures

Re: MAME not connecting to Internet adapter

Post by DJ Sures »

Weird - unless the MAME.EXE is blocked in the firewall. Becuase if you're able to telnet, there's no reason name can't get in there

You'll see a log in the debug window that should show you the TCP COMM server is running. Make sure you turned that on, and not confusing it with the RetroNET TCP Server.
Capture.PNG
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Ok, strangest thing, I installed Wireshark to take some packet captures, rebooted from that, went to take a capture and started up MAME to see what I see and ... I saw stuff and it connected to the Internet Adapter.

Really weird.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Yep. TCP server started but that reminded me of a question, what’s the other “RetroNET TCP Server” setting option for?
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

c1ph3rpunk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:55 am Yep. TCP server started but that reminded me of a question, what’s the other “RetroNET TCP Server” setting option for?
for console redirection: https://nabu.ca/downloads-nabu-telnet-terminal
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Ah, thanks.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

c1ph3rpunk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:02 amAh, thanks.
Oooooooooh yeah! That's a useful 80-column hack until everyone gets one of RenderEng's F18 alternatives :D I have the parts coming - so I'll do a video on assembling it shortly.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Boy I wish I had more time to catch up, I think I saw a YT video somewhere about that.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

c1ph3rpunk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:24 am Boy I wish I had more time to catch up, I think I saw a YT video somewhere about that.

I relate to finding the time. Now that summer is here I find less time to be inside doing things