EEPROM & Programmer Recommendations

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
TorontoNabu

EEPROM & Programmer Recommendations

Post by TorontoNabu »

Any recommendations on what programmer and EEPROM part to use?
How about a ZIF socket?

(getting setup, apologize if this is already discussed)

Thanks
Peter
superbenk

Re: EEPROM & Programmer Recommendations

Post by superbenk »

Oh man, you *JUST* missed the clearance on these: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Id=2297823. I just got this last week because it supposedly is one of the ones known to work well with non-Windows software (https://gitlab.com/DavidGriffith/minipro). Supposedly the Windows software will run in Wine & you need it to upgrade the programmer to the latest firmware.

This was recommended to me by some people on the NABU Discord. I've never done anything with (E)EPROM before so I don't really have much advice otherwise.
- Ben
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

This is the upgrade to the TL866II Plus but I've been told it doesn't work with the open-source MiniPro software so you may *HAVE* to use their Windows software. Maybe that's ok.

- Ben
TorontoNabu

Post by TorontoNabu »

Thanks Ben. I've earmarked the one on Amazon, but I use Linux on my workbench PC... I'll keep looking around.

The other alternative is to go all in and get a ROM emulator, or make one with a Pi or Arduino. The Arduino would be interesting as I could connect WiFi with an ESP8266 and not need a cable to connect to it.

Cheers
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

I use this: PRG-112 True USB GQ-4X V4...