From the notes of John Shortt

Stories, pictures, and artifacts from the O.G. NABU Rockstar, Leo
MagnumPEI

Re: From the notes of John Shortt

Post by MagnumPEI »

DJ Sures wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:57 pm That’s awesome! Bet you had some great conversations. Would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall!
Apparently, that's quite easy. You just teleport with a fly, causing a DNA mismatch, blending into DJfly. Then you can stick to walls and move like a fly. It's not recommended though. It always ends in a painfully dramatic catastrophy.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

MagnumPEI wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 5:45 pm
DJ Sures wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:57 pm I just realized you’re wearing jackets. Is it cold there? Thought you guys were getting a similar heat wave

IMG_2127.jpeg
What the...? Where did you record this temperature? Arizona? Sub-Saharan Africa? In all recorded history, my location has never reached that temperature. (not even when the dinosaurs were alive)

I must get a NABU hard hat. I also need a Tardis. (my home-made time machine isn't working out very well)
you're close - this is the Canadian desert. Calgary Alberta Canada - it's dry, no water (hence the desert), no lakes... there is a little river. Lots of cattle and grain.
LeoBinkowski

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Nope, no desert here.
20230505_120039.jpg
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

I see you "let slip the dogs of war."

Bah. That's not water. This is water. (said with Australian accent)

View from my deck last fall:
surf's up.jpg
I don't think dogs would have fun in this.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Geezus!!! If it wasn’t for the angry dark color, it would be pleasantly looking - albeit still dangerous. The dark color makes it look menacing.

I’m about 2 weeks away from being at my beach for the summer. Fingers crossed! It’s been a waiting game between waiting for their weather to clear up, and recall parts for my i drove to here with. So I’m sitting idle…. Sitting waiting wishing!
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

I know I'm hideously off the topic of John Shortt and his notes, so this is the last time I'll derail this thread...

Yes, that was menacing. For scale, the stump on the beach is 10 feet tall. I lost 5 metres of land in places. If anybody finds my land, I want it back.

Before moving here, I had planned on getting a place on Lake Superior (around Batchawana Bay), but I thought winters might get too cold. Well, it can't get much colder than this:

nice day for a swim.JPG
(my "front yard" in January)
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

I had to look up where Batchawana Bay is. It’s near the sault. That’s about 10 hour drive from my beach - which is in Shuniah Ontario. I normally don’t spend much time in the winter there. Except during covid I decided to give it a shot last year - it was nice. So this year I spent 3 months or so there over the winter. It’s peaceful that’s for sure. Weather wasn’t terrible but you’re not outside much anyway - except for quading on the ice or skidoi g. You’d be crazy to skidoo on Lake Superior though / because it’s not consistent where it’s frozen solid. Black bay I hear is safer for it.

Ice fishing we usually go to lac du melac. Inland lakes freeze better. Not sure why we don’t consider Lake Superior and inland lake. Just the way it is