Glad to join!

New members, introduce yourselves here and post a picture of your NABU setup.
jdc

Glad to join!

Post by jdc »

Hello, everyone!

First, I want to say it's great to see all of the amazing work being done for NABU. These fun and nerdy projects really are interesting to watch, and I wish I had half the technical know-how that some of you do.

I am an original NABU subscriber (well, my parents were) here in Ottawa, having used the system sometime around 1984 (the details are a bit hazy) when I was about 10. It was my first home computer after having been introduced to 8-big gaming via the ColecoVision in 1982. The Coleco Adam is another system I had as a kid after NABU, and both, along with the C64 hold a special place for me.

I currently have two NABU systems. One I bought from PellMill and picked up in DC a couple months ago whilst attending a conference. The other system I have is at my place in Japan, where I lived for about 16 years. I picked that one up from a seller somewhere in the US circa early 2000s. It also has the adaptor, and the next time I'm over there, I will try to get the PC online.

I donated my NABU BASIC manual to the York U project some 15 years ago, and have been kicking myself that I didn't at least get a scan of it first. I also provided them with scans of the adaptor and PC mainboards.

I currently work fully remote here in Ottawa as a trainer and instructional designer at an American software company. I also enjoy coding and problem-solving, though my skills could use some.. development.

I am currently very slowly working through the nabulib.h file as well as reverse engineering examples in the homebrew folder I downloaded from DJ's GitHub repository. I have an idea for a game I want to build, but I have a phenomenal amount to learn first.

Cheers,

jdc
20230226_232454-small.png
LeoBinkowski

Re: Glad to join!

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Welcome to our Home.

I met you in RetroChat, and since we both live it Ottawa, perhaps we will meet someday soon. I am interested in hearing about the Japan site. I never got to see any material from it, just was told all kinds of exciting stories by Kay Nishi when he visited NABU. I think I met him like three times.

Leo