Font Editor

jdc's Font Editor for English and Japanese characters
jdc

Font Editor

Post by jdc »

I don't know if there is any use for this, or if this meets the criteria of things that are allowed as a project, but I've built a simple font editor in LibreOffice Calc that allows you to visually edit the font (chars 32-127) and then outputs the pattern for use in nabulib.h or inline in your code.

If people feel this tool is of any use, I'd be more than happy to share it and to continue improving on it based on suggestions and requests.

Next steps for this project:
  • ability to read in a pattern file to the visual editor
  • ability to shift individual characters horizontally and vertically
  • Japanese katakana half-width font (半角カタカナ)
Design:
font-editor-design.png
Output:
font-editor-output.png
LeoBinkowski

Re: Font Editor

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Yeah, I think this a worthy idea. I can actually see myself using it at a future date. I'll promote it to software project.
jdc

Post by jdc »

Thank you, Leo! That was super fast! I'd barely posted it when I saw that it was gone from the request section. I was worried I'd angered the NABU gods :D

It seems posting it here is not an option due to the file type, so I'll post a link to it on my website shortly. I was making some last-minute revisions to it.

Cheers!
jdc

Post by jdc »

I'll put this here for now until I can find a better way to distribute.

https://decarlo.ca/Font%20Designer/Font ... 200.9b.ods
jdc

Post by jdc »

Small update - I'm very close to getting it reading in a hex pattern of an existing font. Hoping to share this weekend. Have also found a couple of efficiency gains using the native cell forumulae available in LibreOffice rather than writing my own slow functions to reinvent the wheel.
jdc

Post by jdc »

A big update :)

- support now to read in a character set from a hex pattern file, which can then be edited
- support to convert a decimal pattern file to hex, which can then be read in and edited
- improved visual layouts (monospaced fonts etc.)
- added a "Clear" sheet with a blank pattern if you want to restart from scratch

Roadmap:

- Ability to shift individual characters horizontally and vertically by one pixel at a time.
- Japanese katakana half-width font (半角カタカナ).

Download link: https://decarlo.ca/Font%20Designer/Font ... 00.95b.ods

Screenshots:
screenshot01.png
screenshot02.png
screenshot03.png
screenshot04.png