Notes on CPM

The RetroNET Cloud CP/M operating system for the NABU PC.
cavaughan

Notes on CPM

Post by cavaughan »

Really enjoying using CPM on the Nabu.
A couple of comments:
1. Games: Tons of games, but not all of them work. For example Pitfall and Pitfall1. Just making sure it's not me, but that they just don't work. I've also had games just freeze up on me. Most interesting "error" was when Pacman suddenly moved my pacman outside the maze. I could still move around and enter through the tunnel on the right side.
2. Telnet. I intend to start exploring various BBS's with telnet and I'll post any good ones for the Nabu. Many sites request info about your system in order to work best with your monitor. Anyone got a good suggestion on what to choose? So far for me it's been kind of a crap shoot.
3. Long list of programs? Ctrl+S is your friend. It'll pause and continue the scrolling. However, is there a way to just terminate the scrolling? Say, I get to the B's in program names and don't want to wait 2 more secs!!!! (joking) for the entire list to go by.
4. OH and the c: drive. Yes it does save files across boots. That's cool, but is it really on the Nabu or is it in the Internet adapter host computer? I'm afraid I might end up taking to much space on the Nabu with files. And if I do, might that not somehow cause issues with programs, memory, ...?

Thanks!
DJ Sures

Re: Notes on CPM

Post by DJ Sures »

cavaughan wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:00 pm Really enjoying using CPM on the Nabu.
A couple of comments:
1. Games: Tons of games, but not all of them work. For example Pitfall and Pitfall1. Just making sure it's not me, but that they just don't work. I've also had games just freeze up on me. Most interesting "error" was when Pacman suddenly moved my pacman outside the maze. I could still move around and enter through the tunnel on the right side.
2. Telnet. I intend to start exploring various BBS's with telnet and I'll post any good ones for the Nabu. Many sites request info about your system in order to work best with your monitor. Anyone got a good suggestion on what to choose? So far for me it's been kind of a crap shoot.
3. Long list of programs? Ctrl+S is your friend. It'll pause and continue the scrolling. However, is there a way to just terminate the scrolling? Say, I get to the B's in program names and don't want to wait 2 more secs!!!! (joking) for the entire list to go by.
4. OH and the c: drive. Yes it does save files across boots. That's cool, but is it really on the Nabu or is it in the Internet adapter host computer? I'm afraid I might end up taking to much space on the Nabu with files. And if I do, might that not somehow cause issues with programs, memory, ...?

Thanks!
1. Sometimes you need to pass the 2 parameter. Documented in my video tutorial on the ported games. But your issue is about msx games on a nabu so they’re ported. Different number of buttons. Different interrupts. So not all work as mentioned in the video.

2. Telnet uses vt52 emulation as it says when it loads. For screen with its 80 columns. That’s all documented as well

3. Read the com manual on nabu.ca in the cloud cpm page. There’s lots of other commands as well. But pressing any other key during a listing will cancel it.

4. No the nabu has internal storage. You can read what the nabu is and how it works on nabu.ca
cavaughan

Post by cavaughan »

You know I've been to the CPM page so many times, but never went down through the whole thing. I'm embarrassed......
BTW, you have a pic of Lynx over Telnet. WHAT? HOW? Are you just telnetting on port 80? But then that's not lynx.....
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Ha I’m telneting into a Linux box. And using programs from there. I looked at doing a text based browser for cpm but it didn’t intrigue me. I’m slowing down a bit for the summer so not much coming from me. Give others a chance to shine :) I got beer to drink and fish to catch!
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:30 am I’m slowing down a bit for the summer so not much coming from me. Give others a chance to shine :) I got beer to drink and fish to catch!

You have burned so very very brightly, DJ.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Lol. I do have a few things half completed. Mentioned it before in other comments. But because this is a hobby, I like doing stuff when it feels fun. If feels like work or a responsibility, I’m probably gonna avoid it haha
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

Yes - I hate doing things I'm expected to do.