Soon to be NABUser

New members, introduce yourselves here and post a picture of your NABU setup.
cavaughan

Soon to be NABUser

Post by cavaughan »

Just realized that my topic sounds like abuser, but surely everyone understands what I meant. Regardless, I may find myself abusing my NABU.
I'll soon be getting my NABU and am looking forward to it. Perhaps the primary reason I wanted a NABU requires a little explanation.
I remember reading a book about France's Minitel(?) system, which was quite an interesting a somewhat successful attempt at creating a national computerized network for the people.
I don't recall the specifics of the BBC's project, but I think it had some similarities. I thought it would be cool to get one of those "terminals" and play around with it, but without the backbone, they would surely be useless.
Then I see NABU was a Canadian endeavor to something similar, but that there is a large community of individuals who have figured out how to essentially replicate a backbone for the NABU. Now that's something I want to try out and "abuse."
Anyhow, looking forward to the adventure, probably starting with something like Adventure!
LeoBinkowski

Re: Soon to be NABUser

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Welcome cavaughan,

I'm sure you'll have fun with your NABU and look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Leo
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

^^^ what he said :). Welcome to the world of NABU!
cavaughan

Post by cavaughan »

If I may digress. I saw a headline that Netflix is going to offer online gaming through it's TV network. Obvious stealing NABU IP! :P

In a video I think it was DJ,who seemed to imply that he and others were working on developing a centralize NABU server. So do I understand correctly that instead of everyone hosting their own "server" at home, everyone would be able to connect to, let's say, a cloud server? That would be awesome. Just hope you can make it economically viable.

Finally, I'm very curious how, I guess, Pell Mill discovered the stock of unused NABU's. What's the history there?
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

cavaughan wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:02 pm In a video, I think it was DJ,who seemed to imply that he and others were working on developing a centralize NABU server. So do I understand correctly that instead of everyone hosting their own "server" at home, everyone would be able to connect to, let's say, a cloud server? That would be awesome. Just hope you can make it economically viable.

That's how it works now - there's cloud.nabu.ca which hosts all of the files. The only thing is you still need some "adapter" to connect the nabu to the internet, and that's what the Internet Adapter does. The idea is to move the internet adapter to a piece of hardware installed in the nabu with wifi enabled. A guy is working on that, so we'll probably see something in the distant future.