Guidance on setting up Adapter on Raspbian

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
sobchack_security

Guidance on setting up Adapter on Raspbian

Post by sobchack_security »

Hello,
Looking for some real noob-level assistance here. I have been able to deploy the Adapter on a PC but would like to set up a Raspberry Pi. I am not exactly a Linux wizard but with specific instructions I can get things set up pretty well.

But I am failing to understand the instructions for the Adapter. DJ mentions mono in his video and I researched it and tried to install it. When I try run the program as instructed I get an "Illegal instruction" error if I try to run it as a mono file I get an error that it doesn't have a CLI image.

I have triple checked that I have the right adapter - Linux 32 bit.

Can anyone point me to a resource that provides a step by step guide on deployment? I am using a R Pi Zero W but if, as discussed here, it's dog-slow I could attempt an upgrade. But I would like to make sure I know that I can make it work.

Thanks for any advice!
DJ Sures

Re: Guidance on setting up Adapter on Raspbian

Post by DJ Sures »

No mono. That’s a different version that no longer exists. Do not install mono :)

There’s set by step instructions on the internet adapter download page. Scroll down and you’ll see the Linux installation instructions for ya

Also, do not use the desktop mode on the pi zero. Uninstall desktop or configure it to not start on boot. Desktop takes too many resources on the zero. It’ll be much faster without it
c1ph3rpunk

Re: Guidance on setting up Adapter on Raspbian

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

DJ Sures wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 1:57 pm No mono. That’s a different version that no longer exists. Do not install mono :)

There’s set by step instructions on the internet adapter download page. Scroll down and you’ll see the Linux installation instructions for ya

Also, do not use the desktop mode on the pi zero. Uninstall desktop or configure it to not start on boot. Desktop takes too many resources on the zero. It’ll be much faster without it
Even in bare console mode I find the Pi Zero to be essentially unusable with current Raspbian. I wish it was.