That new NABU smell...

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
memenesia

That new NABU smell...

Post by memenesia »

Not sure where to post this.

And, no I have not yet powered anything up. But I noticed when I opened up the box, there was a distinct smell. I am wondering if that's just old plastics parts from Korea or what. Is this normal or am I the only one who has experienced this? It was not water or wetness related; I understand these things have sat for quite a while in who knows what conditions. The rubberband, as I have seen in videos online, was most definitely dried out. :D

Cheers!
MagnumPEI

Re: That new NABU smell...

Post by MagnumPEI »

Some people have said that it's "new computer smell" and that it's "not that bad". I disagree. It reeks!

I've opened many many computers, both back in the 80's and NOS stuff over the years. Nothing smelled this bad - and I own an Amiga 1000 that somebody's cats pissed all over. My VT100 has a faint smell that is a bit similar to this (and I thought that was toxic), but this is on a whole new level.

The smell seems to be coming from the plastic, not the internal components. The NABU was made in Korea and maybe the Koreans hadn't yet perfected the art of making non-smelly plastics at the time. That's my theory. (I plan on producing a scientific paper and the Nobel Prize could very well be within my grasp.)

I only hope the terrible smell disappears over time. (...maybe another 40 years or so)

Edit: Ah, I see you did mention plastic parts from Korea. (but that doesn't mean I'll let you share my Nobel Prize :P )
memenesia

Post by memenesia »

LOL, please just acknowndge me with a forgettable meme during your acceptance speech and we will call it even.

I wasn't thinking it was toxic, and I do have a cat. I agree, cat urine is preferrable in this case. I don't expect it to be noticable once I get things set up, my computer lab has quite a few fans and air movers around.

Cheers!
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Guess I’m weird, I actually like the smell.
skin-nl

Post by skin-nl »

c1ph3rpunk wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:20 pm Guess I’m weird, I actually like the smell.
I like the smell too.....i bought a radio back in the day and it had almost the same smell.