What monitor do you use?

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
c1ph3rpunk

Re: What monitor do you use?

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Same on the CRT, it really comes down to size and weight, I just don’t have enough room even if I found one.
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

I've got 25 CRTs in my computer room. (3 more in my living room)
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Dude that many must give you a tan!
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

DJ Sures wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:03 pm Dude that many must give you a tan!
I don't put them all on at the same time. At most, I'll have three running - just like the bums in Max Headroom:

Max.jpg
(I have more hair though)
TorontoNabu

Post by TorontoNabu »

I am using of these:

It syncs no problem, looks kind of fuzzy, but I'm also capturing the HDMI with a HDMI->USB adaptor on my slowish old PC in the basement. Not usable for gaming as there is a noticeable delay (I assume from USB and PC lag). But works fine for remote programming/debugging from the couch (go leafs!) using remote desktop.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

TorontoNabu wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 6:36 pm I am using of these:

It syncs no problem, looks kind of fuzzy, but I'm also capturing the HDMI with a HDMI->USB adaptor on my slowish old PC in the basement. Not usable for gaming as there is a noticeable delay (I assume from USB and PC lag). But works fine for remote programming/debugging from the couch (go leafs!) using remote desktop.
because I have the same converter, I wonder if my nabu is out to lunch. It's an older nabu from the early days of the company - older than the ones available now. So maybe there's a small difference in the video output. I do have some of the newer nabus and I should try that adapter on them
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

DJ Sures wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 pm I’ll have to revisit the hdmi converter another day. After I made the slideshow program, I started to recognize the value of crt bluriness lol. When viewing the slideshow on an lcd, you have to stand back 38,909 feet and squint. But with the crt the pics look awesome lol

Same with a few games I find the graphics to look better on crt.

It took a while for me to sway to crt because I spent a lot of time in text mode. Text on crt is not great for my eyeballs
I wonder if these sorts of things actually emulate those crt characteristics.

https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

MagnumPEI wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 7:53 pm I've got 25 CRTs in my computer room. (3 more in my living room)
Nuclear war when they’re all on.
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

We only have a small LCD in the lounge (33" SONY) and it works great with my Laserdisc player in both PAL & NYSC modes so I'm assuming NANU composite output will work fine with it directly?
NABU Away! and going strong so far...
www.amigaretro.com
fastrobplus

Post by fastrobplus »

I wonder if these sorts of things actually emulate those crt characteristics.

https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term
Cool retro term is really great, but useful mostly for a linux shell. I do play some text-based games with Cool Retro Term enabled on this prop 70's PC build:
Attachments
solarjupiter.JPG