Pi Inside

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
intangybles

Re: Pi Inside

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:23 am Yup. It’ll run on pretty much anything. Doesn’t really do a lot. Not cpu intensive at all
Fired up the old Pi (its a 1B), with the GUI I forgot how slow they are ;) I think I will stick with the plan to use the Pi3B as it also has WiFi onboard, the old Pi does not! Will make life easier overall! Just have to get a case for it.
NABU Away! and going strong so far...
www.amigaretro.com
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

The 1b will be fine if you remove desktop mode. The internet adapter only needs console text so it’ll run much faster if graphics are disabled :)
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 6:00 pm The 1b will be fine if you remove desktop mode. The internet adapter only needs console text so it’ll run much faster if graphics are disabled :)
All true! I was toying with the idea that seeing that it does not have WiFi and that I will need a WiFi USB anyway, perhaps I could mount it internally and mount an external USB socket on the back for the WiFi and adapter. Or even mount the case so the USB ports are available on the rear.. Lots of ideas to play with when the NABU arrives!
www.amigaretro.com
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

Will go with the Pi3B, toying with the idea of using it to make the NABU a sort of 8bit Media Controller of some kind on the TV rack! Could be fun!

Well, its an idea in the making!
www.amigaretro.com
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

Pi3b Going well so far in testing with MAME!
IMG_2477.jpg
www.amigaretro.com
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

I have a Zero W all together I need to try, short an HDMI input to set it up right now… Never enough when you need it.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

c1ph3rpunk wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 4:10 am I have a Zero W all together I need to try, short an HDMI input to set it up right now… Never enough when you need it.
Just make sure you don’t load the graphic ui on the zero. It’ll be much faster without it :)
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

The Raspberry Pi pre 2 (eg, 1 or just B or whatever) won't run the Internet Adapters I've tried so far. Maybe nabud, I'm not sure. The other ones all require .NET core which doesn't exist for the processor in the old RPi's. I have a B+ serving up a BBS & some other low-resource stuff that I would *LOVE* to use with the NABU but, alas, it won't work. You'll have to use an RPi2 or newer.

(Yes, I tried compiling .NET. I forget where I found the info about the old ARM CPU not being supported by the code.)
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

That’s strange - you’d think the latest raspian would still work on those. Did you do an update? And still no joy? Arm should be arm. But also, remember to use the 32bit executable.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

I tested on the oldest Pi i could find in my collection and it worked on the Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1. I used the Linux 32 ARM internet adapter.

cat /proc/version shows...

Code: Select all

Linux version 5.4.83-v7+ (dom@buildbot) (gcc version 8.4.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 8.4.0-3ubuntu1)) #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020
p
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows...

Code: Select all

Hardware        : BCM2835
Revision        : a21041
Serial          : 00000000cfe3e424
Model           : Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
Capture.PNG