Pi Inside

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
superbenk

Re: Pi Inside

Post by superbenk »

DJ Sures wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 4:38 am I tested on the oldest Pi i could find in my collection and it worked on the Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1. I used the Linux 32 ARM internet adapter.

cat /proc/version shows...

Code: Select all

Linux version 5.4.83-v7+ (dom@buildbot) (gcc version 8.4.0 (Ubuntu/Linaro 8.4.0-3ubuntu1)) #1379 SMP Mon Dec 14 13:08:57 GMT 2020
p
cat /proc/cpuinfo shows...

Hardware        : BCM2835
Revision        : a21041
Serial          : 00000000cfe3e424
Model           : Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
Capture.PNG
I think the important difference here is that my B+ is ARMv6 & your 2B is ARMv7.

https://github.com/dotnet/runtime/issues/7764

/proc/version:

Linux version 5.15.84+ (dom@buildbot) (arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc-8 (Ubuntu/Linaro 8.4.0-3ubuntu1) 8.4.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.34) #1613 Thu Jan 5 11:58:09 GMT 2023
/proc/cpuinfo:

processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)  # <--- 
BogoMIPS	: 697.95
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xb76
CPU revision	: 7

Hardware	: BCM2835
Revision	: 0010
Serial		: 00000000b2e7d069
Model		: Raspberry Pi Model B Plus Rev 1.2
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

I tried following that thread but they have A.D.D. lol. Looks like it ended with a reference to another bug ID. Maybe check that and see what progress or work around. It seems to only affect serial.io from what I understand. So I’m sure it’s need fixed by now. Well, hoping it has been :)

Otherwise I guess a newer pi by 1 generation is needed.

I suspect nabud would compile but you’ll miss the features of RetroNET and new stuff that get added often. Since I’m throwing a pi in mine I should really finish the IA Control binary lol. I announced I was doing it 4 months ago and haven’t worked on it since. That’s what the other guys are calling “headless”. I just didn’t finish it because it wasn’t a priority for me hehe
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

DJ Sures wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:52 am I tried following that thread but they have A.D.D. lol. Looks like it ended with a reference to another bug ID. Maybe check that and see what progress or work around. It seems to only affect serial.io from what I understand. So I’m sure it’s need fixed by now. Well, hoping it has been :)

I suspect nabud would compile but you’ll miss the features of RetroNET and new stuff that get added often. Since I’m throwing a pi in mine I should really finish the IA Control binary lol. I announced I was doing it 4 months ago and haven’t worked on it since. That’s what the other guys are calling “headless”. I just didn’t finish it because it wasn’t a priority for me hehe
Definitely not a rabbit hole I'm interested in going down for a ridiculously old RPi :) Just thought I'd throw out the info as to why it probably wasn't working.
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Oh that’s good to hear. I usually wouldn’t suggest to revive such an old hardware. But ever since I released the internet adapter to the retro world, I’ve been bombarded with ppl complaining it doesn’t work on windows xp. Or some weird Linux distro that no one else has heard of. Or Beos. Or Mac system 7.

Lol so I kind of go with the flow now :)
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

DJ Sures wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:28 pm Oh that’s good to hear. I usually wouldn’t suggest to revive such an old hardware. But ever since I released the internet adapter to the retro world, I’ve been bombarded with ppl complaining it doesn’t work on windows xp. Or some weird Linux distro that no one else has heard of. Or Beos. Or Mac system 7.

Wait! There's a Mac System 7 version!?!?!? ;)
- Ben
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:52 am I tried following that thread but they have A.D.D. lol. Looks like it ended with a reference to another bug ID. Maybe check that and see what progress or work around. It seems to only affect serial.io from what I understand. So I’m sure it’s need fixed by now. Well, hoping it has been :)

Looking forward - very much - to the "headless" version! :D
NABU Away! and going strong so far...
www.amigaretro.com
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 10:28 pm Oh that’s good to hear. I usually wouldn’t suggest to revive such an old hardware. But ever since I released the internet adapter to the retro world, I’ve been bombarded with ppl complaining it doesn’t work on windows xp. Or some weird Linux distro that no one else has heard of. Or Beos. Or Mac system 7.

Yes, the "core" debian (Rasapian, RaspberryPi OS) will run fine on the ARMv6, but so many newly created or updated additional systems do not / have not ever supported ARMv6.. I would agree, don't even try using a Pi 1 or 1B... ;)
www.amigaretro.com
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

I have set my Pi3B up with a script to toggle the boot autostart from one NABU server to the other, ready for when my NABU arrives.

I may even get industrious and hook up a GPIO button to do it or do it programmatically, will have to see how I go!
www.amigaretro.com
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

intangybles wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:00 am I have set my Pi3B up with a script to toggle the boot autostart from one NABU server to the other, ready for when my NABU arrives.

I may even get industrious and hook up a GPIO button to do it or do it programmatically, will have to see how I go!
oh that's a neat idea to use gpio!
intangybles

Post by intangybles »

DJ Sures wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:17 am
intangybles wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 1:00 am I have set my Pi3B up with a script to toggle the boot autostart from one NABU server to the other, ready for when my NABU arrives.

oh that's a neat idea to use gpio!
Thanks, I've added shutdown via a GPIO button multiple times so it should not be too tricky! You could even do it with the "off the shelf" scripts and just make that script "toggle" your boot, ie; one power off it selects one server, the next power off it uses the other.
www.amigaretro.com