Pi Zero W inside

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
c1ph3rpunk

Pi Zero W inside

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Works. Pi Zero W with a usb hat, RS-422 to usb adapter running to the Pi, nabud running locally. I think the next step is to break out Blendr and design a card that holds the stuff in one of the module slots. For now, some temp sticky stuff will hold it while that gets up on the todo list.

I’ll test other Internet adapters in it, at least now I have a platform to use for it, nabud seemed to fit the bill for current use cases.

Known issues:
  • nabud starts before the serial adapter is detected, need to deal with that somehow.
allinretro

Re: Pi Zero W inside

Post by allinretro »

Very nicely done. Looking forward to doing this on my NABU. I hope I can fit A+ model in there somehow, otherwise a Pi Zero W will have to do. Thanks for posting the picture.

Hobby time won't return until the snow flies in November. Too many outside projects in the summertime.
LeoBinkowski

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Very nicely done indeed! I like the layout, very clean!
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

Is the Pi 0 W able to get signal in there? I know there was concerns about that. Looks really nice though! I wish I could get my hands on some cheap Pi 0 W's again here.
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

That’s super sharp
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

superbenk wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:12 pm Is the Pi 0 W able to get signal in there? I know there was concerns about that. Looks really nice though! I wish I could get my hands on some cheap Pi 0 W's again here.
Haven’t had an issue so far, though it doesn’t really matter running nabud, all the pak files are local. I can easily ssh into it, and use nabuctl to set channels, etc.

I somehow had enough foresight to pick up 4 Zero’s in 2019. If you don’t care about remote access, a regular Zero (non-W) would suffice. But, if you wanted some type of tty session could use the serial console connection or the ssh over usb method.
Last edited by c1ph3rpunk on Sun May 14, 2023 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

allinretro wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:55 pm Very nicely done. Looking forward to doing this on my NABU. I hope I can fit A+ model in there somehow, otherwise a Pi Zero W will have to do. Thanks for posting the picture.

Hobby time won't return until the snow flies in November. Too many outside projects in the summertime.
Little here, little there gets quite a bit done. I sold my last house, a single family one, and moved into a townhouse so I have less of that adulting thing to do. Zero grass to mow and the most I do outside for work is plant herbs. Kids are grown up and out as well, I get time back to myself finally after 25 years of not.

I’m giving myself a LOT of time to prepare for VCFMW in September. This is machine no 1 that’ll go along with me.

Not sure a full-size Pi will fit anywhere except stuck to the lid upside down, which isn’t a bad thing really.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

LeoBinkowski wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:00 pm Very nicely done indeed! I like the layout, very clean!
Thanks! Need to devise something a little less kludgy, but for now, it’ll work.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

My internet adapter caches the files locally once they're run. The only main reason I chose not to cache the whole thing is there are 20,000+ files because RetroNET has more than just the usual cycles. There are slideshow images, music, homebrew game resources, cpm drives that get updated regularly, and more. So since the Nabu was originally designed to be a network-connected PC, I'm sticking with the original development plan :)

But if you're talking about simply keeping the "original network cycles", then my internet adapter still does cache them or you can point it to nabud's folder and it'll work.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 2:35 am My internet adapter caches the files locally once they're run. The only main reason I chose not to cache the whole thing is there are 20,000+ files because RetroNET has more than just the usual cycles. There are slideshow images, music, homebrew game resources, cpm drives that get updated regularly, and more. So since the Nabu was originally designed to be a network-connected PC, I'm sticking with the original development plan :)

But if you're talking about simply keeping the "original network cycles", then my internet adapter still does cache them or you can point it to nabud's folder and it'll work.
On my list to play with next build, the goal for this one was to serve cycle 2 as local as possible, with some options, all from a Pi. Proved it’s possible, for whatever reason someone might want, now on to the next one. 3 PC’s, each set up a little differently, to showcase the connectivity options available these days.

I’m not really a huge fan of Mono on Linux so I’ll likely keep those to Windows, for now. nabud fit the “try to stay native in order to stay lightweight” for a Pi Zero build. I had a leftover 8GB card from a 3D printer, I didn’t expect it to fit it all, but sure enough it did.

And boy are the Zero’s slow when compared to others now.