Cloud CPM woes

The RetroNET Cloud CP/M operating system for the NABU PC.
John Klein

Cloud CPM woes

Post by John Klein »

I've been having a heck of a time trying to use cloud CPM. I can access everything on Retronet except Cloud CPM. Well actually about 1 out of 25 or 30 tries I can actually get it to work. I get to the Cloud CPM screen and everything loads except for the prompt. This is really frustrating me. I want to partake of the cloud CPM goodness but I can't. Any ideas?
DJ Sures

Re: Cloud CPM woes

Post by DJ Sures »

Cable
John Klein

Post by John Klein »

DJ Sures wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 7:15 pmCable
I'm using a 2' long premade rs232 shielded cable with the original metal 9 pin connector intack. On the other end I used a 5 pin din (of good quality) and carefully soldered it according to the pinout chart on your site. Continuity tests are good and have been checked multiple times to confirm that the cable is good and the pinouts are correct. As mentioned this cable works perfectly for accessing Retronet and doing anything but cloud CPM. If the cable were the issue then why would it work perfectly for everything except cloud CPM?
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

So if it’s not the cable, what else do you think it could be?
John Klein

Post by John Klein »

No ide, that's why I'm here for ideas. But how could the cable only ever have issues with Cloud CPM and nothing else? To me that makes no sense. Perhaps it is bad but it's consistent in always failing with Cloud CPM both flavors of it btw. I have an f18a installed.
John Klein

Post by John Klein »

I'm logged into chat right now. I can log into chat each and every time I try. I can play tetris, slide show or anything at all first try every single time without fail but the minute I try to use CPM it's a no go. I get the CPM screen every time and I get all the way to the "type Help for commands" line but never get a prompt. Well almost never. occasionally (very rarely) I will get a prompt and can take about one action before it's said and done. If it's the cable then what can I do besides check continuity, pinouts and make sure there isn't any sort of interference in it's 2' length? I'm out of ideas.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

It’s the only physical thing between the nabu and the internet adapter. There’s no settings for it to work or not work. Check the log window of the internet adapter to see where it “stops working”

But your twisted pair cable needs to have the rx wires twisted. And the tx wires twisted.

That’s all you need to

Some small programs might work because all you need is to miss one byte on a large amount of data and boom it’s done.
greghol

Post by greghol »

John, Make sure you don't have any 'A' disk drive files in you 'store' directory location. 'A' disk drive should go to 'temp' directory location and it will update here if new 'A' disk images are available. For some reason I experienced what you your experiencing on the latest disk image with the new adapter sw for some reason.

Greg
John Klein

Post by John Klein »

As for the twisted pair wiring, I cannot say for sure as the premade rs232 cable is totally enclosed except for the end that I soldered to the 5 DIN connector. Thankfully I bought a pack of 5 DIN connectors and have some twisted pair network cable at hand. I've ordered another 9 pin connector and when it arrives I will assemble another cable to see if that changes anything. I'll update this thread when I've had a chance to test the new cable.
John Klein

Post by John Klein »

Holy cow, the new cable works. I guess the RS 232 premade cable that I used as the basis for my RS 422 cable, did not have twisted pairs and the shielding did not prevent "noise". Thanks for all the help.