Vintage Computer Festival (Leo, Brian, and DJ)

Upcoming events featuring NABU computers.
DJ Sures

Vintage Computer Festival (Leo, Brian, and DJ)

Post by DJ Sures »

Tonight the vintage computer festival had a follow up interview with Leo, Brian, and myself. If you didn’t catch it, here’s the recording. Thanks to Jeffery for organizing it and including Brian and myself with Leo! It was a blast to put names to faces. We made sure to mention all great projects and contributors to the nabu ecosystem - including Masto, production Dave, John’s Basement, Rudy, Luis, Santo, Killball, and others. There’s no shortage of community efforts across multiple projects that unite us for a common goal of enjoying the retro-computing treasure, the nabu!

Without further delay, here’s the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/live/LkWWfCmz2PM?feature=share
DJ Sures

Re: Vintage Computer Festival (Leo, Brian, and DJ)

Post by DJ Sures »

Oh yeah, and be sure to follow the vintage computer festival for next year’s announcements because we’re going to ensure Leo, Brian and myself are in attendance! Start the countdown… 11 months and ticking :)
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

I just watched the whole video. For some reason I kept thinking DJ was on the ISS. Maybe it's the zero-gravity hair. :mrgreen:

Nice to hear the Burroughs ICON mentioned. I used the first version ICON in grade 11 computer class. I managed to bypass the primitive security and get access to all the user accounts - even the teacher's. Unfortunately, I showed a "friend" and he later used that knowledge to steal my game. I came into the computer lab one lunchtime and every person in the room was playing my game - but with his name on the credits. What a jerk.

NABU reminds me a bit of the ICON - an 80's Canadian computer designed to be networked.

Burroughs ICON.jpg
(thanks to the Ontario government destroying all the ICONs, this is probably the only original version ICON in existence)
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

MagnumPEI wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:02 pm I just watched the whole video. For some reason I kept thinking DJ was on the ISS. Maybe it's the zero-gravity hair. :mrgreen:

Nice to hear the Burroughs ICON mentioned. I used the first version ICON in grade 11 computer class. I managed to bypass the primitive security and get access to all the user accounts - even the teacher's. Unfortunately, I showed a "friend" and he later used that knowledge to steal my game. I came into the computer lab one lunchtime and every person in the room was playing my game - but with his name on the credits. What a jerk.

NABU reminds me a bit of the ICON - an 80's Canadian computer designed to be networked.

Burroughs ICON.jpg
(thanks to the Ontario government destroying all the ICONs, this is probably the only original version ICON in existence)
Lol that’s most likely grease and oil in my hair. Rebuilding the drivetrain on my boat the last two days.

Funny that you also remember the icon. I really disliked having to use it. Having a pc at home, the icon felt prehistoric!
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:38 pm Funny that you also remember the icon. I really disliked having to use it. Having a pc at home, the icon felt prehistoric!
For me, it was primitive, but not prehistoric. It was 1986/87. I'd never used a networked computer before - and never had the thrill of hacking into somebody's account :twisted: . It was also the first time I'd seen structured BASIC - which made realize that I'd been making horrible spaghetti code for years. I went over all my early 80's BASIC games and optimized everything. It was also the first time I saw compiled BASIC. (and wondered where it had been all my life)

And, although I'd first appreciated large trackballs in 1980 on Centipede, the ICON reinforced my opinion. To this day, I use a large trackball on all my computers - Mac, Amiga, Classic Mac, Atari. (yes... I've got big balls)

(the trackball was invented by Canadians, by the way - using a 5-pin bowling ball! (and for those who don't know - 5 pin bowling is a Canadian invention))