About nabu.run

Masto's browser-based NABU software adapter.
masto

About nabu.run

Post by masto »

Hello forum folks!

I see that someone decided I get a section here :-) so I figured I'd write in a little introduction.

My first thought was there are at least 4 "internet adapters" out there already... why did I make another one? It was basically a proof of concept. I was talking to a friend of mine about NABU stuff and he said "You know, web browsers can talk to serial ports. You could make it so you just go to a web page and get your NABU online", at the exact moment I had the same thought. And you know how it goes sometimes.. that seed of an idea festered until I had to scratch at it. Just let me see if I can see any data come through, I told myself. And then "Oh look, there's stuff coming in.. let me see if I can respond to it." At that point, I wanted to at least see it load a file...

The further it got, the less dumb the idea seemed to be. And it's just a static web site; all the code is run in your browser, so it can be hosted anywhere for cheap. So I figured what the heck, might as well make it look presentable and share it with the community. And there we are.

Oh, did you read all this and have no idea what I'm talking about? https://nabu.run/ is a web site you can go to in Chrome and connect your NABU, much like using the Internet Adapter software, but without having to download or install anything. It's not as full-featured, and there are things it will never be able to do due to browser limitations, but the current version is pretty usable as a quick on-ramp for new users.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 11.08.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 11.08.33 PM.png (212.88 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

And that's the story so far! I plan to keep hacking away at this thing in my copious free time, as it's also been a really fun way to learn modern web development. See you online!

ook ook
LeoBinkowski

Re: About nabu.run

Post by LeoBinkowski »

As I mentioned in your youtube comments, I feel this adapter solves a use case that others don't. Some with locked down PCs that don't trust any out of store installations could use this.

Leo
masto

Post by masto »

Fair point. I can think of a few "all I have is a browser" scenarios. It's also ultimately portable since Chrome has already done all the work. Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS.. I just tested on a Raspberry Pi, didn't have to worry about having an ARM build or anything, just opened the web page.

ook ook
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

masto wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:53 am Fair point. I can think of a few "all I have is a browser" scenarios. It's also ultimately portable since Chrome has already done all the work. Works on Windows, Mac, Linux, Chrome OS.. I just tested on a Raspberry Pi, didn't have to worry about having an ARM build or anything, just opened the web page.
Ha it’ll also work on an android phone I bet! With a usb hub hehe

Or any android tablet