Retronet and Linux

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
cavaughan

Retronet and Linux

Post by cavaughan »

So I'm running the Emulator on Linux under wine.
I have the Internet Adapter running as well and enabled the Retronet telnet server.
Regardless, as many times as I've run cpmdrive x, nothing is ever created. The Nabu emulator will sit there "extracting the D drive" but nothing happens. I check to make sure maybe there was local firewall issue (also iptables) but that's not an issue. What am I missing?

Thanks for any input!
DJ Sures

Re: Retronet and Linux

Post by DJ Sures »

Obviously doesn’t work under wine. Use native binaries for your operating systems. There is no reason to use wine with any nabu stuff. Mame runs in Linux. Internet adapter runs in Linux.
cavaughan

Post by cavaughan »

DJ. So, that means I have to compile from the source for the download? I know I've used Mame before on Linux, so it would seem to me that all I need to do is copy some files from the Windows download for Nabu Mame and they would work under Linux?
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Download mame for Linux. No compiling needed. There is no need to run any nabu software under wine. There are native executables. Visit nabu.ca to get what you need
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Looks like I was incorrect about the Linux mame. I assumed you could download precompiled binaries for Linux. All I see are windows *shrug* weird

Looks like official name supports nabu since 0.522: https://www.mamedev.org/?p=522

But I gather running mame under wine wouldn’t be a problem for connecting to the nabu internet adapter. But do not run the nabu internet adapter under wine. There are Linux versions for your hardware.
cavaughan

Post by cavaughan »

Just to be clear. I have always been running the Internet Adapter for Linux. It's only been the mame app for WIndows that I've been using under wine since it has Nabu built right into it.
So yesterday, I installed Mame for Linux (no compiling necessary). Nabu appears in the listing of options, but you have to supply the ROM, etc. Since I have all that in the Windows version, I need to point all the file locations to the windows-install directory, or copy all those files over to where Linux Mame expects them. I decided to look at where the Windows Mame folders point to and replicate that in the Linux Mame.
Not so simple. I got the Rom, but it immediately complains about not finding a keyboard file. I have tried changing all sorts of folder options, but it still never finds the keyboard, although it's right there in the Windows directories.
All this is very convoluted and I'm sure there's an easier way. Anyone else do this before?
cavaughan

Post by cavaughan »

OK making progress.
Instead of pointing Linux Mame to where the Windows Mame folders are, I've been copying the files over to where Linux Mame expects them to be. Why setting the folders to a different location doesn't work, I don't know.
Anyhow, Nabu boots, but doesn't see the Internet Adapter. At least not yet. So progress.....
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Remember the internet adapter needs to have tcp server enabled before you launch the emulator. And you need to pass the parameter to the mame command line for tcp and connect to local host 127.0.0.1