New to NABU and have a technical question

New members, introduce yourselves here and post a picture of your NABU setup.
fastrobplus

New to NABU and have a technical question

Post by fastrobplus »

Hi and thanks for setting up this forum!

I got a NABU and have had great luck in getting it up and running. I built the serial adapter cable, the fake fairchild controller and filed down the the fan and had a good time trying out the new online resources.

I do have a technical issue I'm hoping to find some information about:
I drove across two states to pick up a nice condition Daewoo color composite monitor. This is a North American NTSC no frills composite monitor that's originally intended for use with MSX computers.

The issue is when I output the composite video from the NABU, the monitor can't quite resolve the signal resulting in some tearing of the video and no color!

The NABU does work just fine with a cheap old VCR/TV combo and looks pretty clear and colorful.
Thinking that the monitor could be the problem, I tried hooking up my TI99/4A to the Daewoo and it works perfectly.

Now I'm thinking there's something just slightly out of spec with the NABU but I'm not super technical so I'm hoping someone knows a trick or tip to adjusting the system's NTSC output.
LeoBinkowski

Re: New to NABU and have a technical question

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Hi, and welcome to the forums!

Start with the simple things, and make sure the connectors are clean and not rusty.

Also, check out this video on youtube, which fixes some common problems, including some with video:

fastrobplus

Post by fastrobplus »

Thanks. It could be a defective component, though I think it's even more likely the NABU generates a nonstandard NTSC signal that relies on TV circuitry to resolve. Here's a video describing the out-of-spec signal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7FuUbo2Dag
Based on this I fear there may be nothing to fix.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi,

I've addressed your question re NABU video output in the "Nabu video" post on the NABU Repair, Operations and Hacks forum (viewforum.php?f=32).

Hope this helps.

- Nick