Stuck fan repair / replacement

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
Affidavit

Stuck fan repair / replacement

Post by Affidavit »

3 nabus I know have all the same issue - the fan is not spinning. It looks like it got deformed over the years in storage. Is there a fix for it?
DJ Sures

Re: Stuck fan repair / replacement

Post by DJ Sures »

There is - but please do not bend the blades like recommended by other sources. If you turn the blades, the bears will wear, and it won't last. We're not cavemen :)

What happened isn't that the fan shell deformed - the motor slid down a tiny bit. The motor has three screws to adjust its position. When you take the fan out of the Nabu, you'll see the three screws in the center. You loosen the screws with your finger, gently pull the internals upward, and retighten the screws.

I had to fix 2 of mine,, which was the most straightforward solution - without bending the blades. Let me know if you need a video or photos.
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

I can confirm this works. I just tried it with my fan. No filing or bending needed at all.

I am not using my fan of course because I live in a 240vt supply country and these Nabu fans are 110vt fans. However, I did keep it along with the OG power supply.

Today, I installed a cheap 12vt fan into the same place. The standard 80x80 fans fit fine. I even re-used the screws that were holding the old fan in place.

I just powered mine off the 5vt connector on my Mean Well power supply. At 12vt it was way too noisy. (that's what happens when you buy cheap fans) At 5vt it still runs, just not as fast and it's definitely making a difference. I initially thought the fan was for the PSU only. But looking at how the vents are arranged I can see it's purpose is to draw air through the whole Nabu thus removing heat from the VDP and RAM chips which do get quite toasty under normal operation.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

Agreed. Just loosening the screws & re-centering the motor is the right fix & a lot easier than filing/bending things.
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

I'm so glad to see others who have fixed their fans using the non-caveman way :D . I kept cringing at all the "how to" videos ppl keep posting where they're bending the blades with plyers. There's even a "repair manual" going around that instructs ppl to bend the blades. Poor nabus :(
masto

Post by masto »

I guess I’m a caveman.

Bending the blades a little seemed less destructive than filing or dremeling. Ook ook?

ook ook
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

[quote=masto post_id=145 time=1680785572 user_id=71]
I guess I’m a caveman.

Bending the blades a little seemed less destructive than filing or dremeling. Ook ook?
[/quote]

The point is you don't need to do either of those things. Just loosen the 3 screws, re-center the motor & tighten them down again.
- Ben
masto

Post by masto »

superbenk wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:02 pm
The point is you don't need to do either of those things. Just loosen the 3 screws, re-center the motor & tighten them down again.
It’s a great point, but too late for this Neanderthal.

ook ook
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

masto wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:07 pm
Probably best to go back to playing Grog games... :lol:
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

superbenk wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:14 pm
masto wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:07 pm
Probably best to go back to playing Grog games... :lol:
Lol!