Replacement PSU guide for 240v supply countries

Post project ideas and suggestions here. Someone might pickup your idea and start creating it. However, this section is heavily moderated to prevent SPAM or off-topic conversations.
productiondave

Replacement PSU guide for 240v supply countries

Post by productiondave »

Hi,

I was wondering if it's worthwhile doing a replacement PSU guide for people who own Nabus in countries with a 220-240vt supply.

I have done mine and would be happy to open up my case and take a few photos along with a write up of how I did it. I am a little nervous of doing it though because I don't want people to electrocute themselves. It's definitely an at-your-own-risk type of deal.

What do you guys think? Is there anyone out there who is professional enough to provide a detailed and safe guide for doing this mod?
tastypies

Re: Replacement PSU guide for 240v supply countries

Post by tastypies »

I replaced mine with a MeanWell RT-65B and took some photos during the process, which I'd be very happy to share.

I think a guide would have been helpful. For example, I decided to replace the mains lead as I wanted a UK molded mains plug (for looks), and while I am very happy with the result, I am still not convinced it was the best idea. Also, my MeanWell PSU is held in place with just a single screw and the internal NABU power supply cover. Whilst this seems to keep it in place securely, there may be a better solution.

Not sure where you'd stand if anyone blows themselves up, or worse, their NABU.

D. :)
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

yeah - I used the same PSU and faced the same issues as you. A single screw terminal, what to do with the floating wires that used to go to the fan and also attaching a new power point. I kept the exisitng power cable - researched what the colours in Canada are and then wired up a NZ plug.
Last edited by productiondave on Fri Apr 07, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tastypies

Post by tastypies »

Ah, yes...the floating wires, and especially the ones with mains power! :shock: I ended up cutting them off and putting new heat shrink tubing over the terminals.

Perhaps 'Replacing the power supply' could be one section of a larger NABU Howto document?

Attachments
howto.zip
Sample 'How To' document
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 103 times
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

that sample howto doc is really a sample isn't it... The photo needs to be in colour too. A black and white image is not too helpful when trying to identify which wire is most likely to kill you by it's shade of grey. :o
tastypies

Post by tastypies »

Still very much a work in progress, but I've added some details: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dimit ... /howto.pdf

I didn't take any photos of the system immediately before and after removing the original NABU PSU, so do let me know if you happen to have any. Also please shout if you spot any errors or spelling mistakes, etc.

DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

PDF Test
howto.pdf
(3.4 MiB) Downloaded 113 times
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

These are the only photos I seem to have. I took these before I removed the PSU and fan. Feel free to use them if they are of any value to the doc.

You have also not finished section 1.1.3 in the doc.
PXL_20230302_015400488.jpg
PXL_20230302_015407988.jpg
PXL_20230302_015424452.jpg
tastypies

Post by tastypies »

Thank you for those images.

I've completed the 'Replacing the PSU' section, so please let me know if there are any gramatical or spelling mistakes, or if anything needs clarifying.

I may add two more sections:
  • 'Freeing a stuck fan (without butchering it)'
  • 'Making a RS422 adapter cable'
Feel free to suggest other topics - though I can't promise if/when they will be included.

Attachments
nabu-howto.pdf
Unofficial NABU How To Guide
(4.88 MiB) Downloaded 96 times
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

Its really good! Well done. I think we will encounter more people who want to do this and your document really lays it out clearly. Nice one.