Stabilant 22A

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
LeoBinkowski

Stabilant 22A

Post by LeoBinkowski »

Due to the age and rustiness of some of the connectors for my NABU, I've been using Stabilant 22A more and more.

It is not a contact cleaner, it is a contact enhancer. Only a drop is needed, which is mostly alchohol. When it dries, the residue is very electrically conductive and fills in all the pits and holes on a pin or connecting socket without other more invasive means.

Expensive at $60US for 15ml, but I still have the bottle I bought in 1995 for half that price, I use it so sparingly.

DJ Sures

Re: Stabilant 22A

Post by DJ Sures »

Be very careful with that stuff. It can cause shorts on pcbs, specifically when near smd components. Our lab we only use brake cleaner because it won’t damage components while breaking rust into a powder that can be blown away with an air can.

If you go ahead and keep using that stuff - just be very very careful not to apply too much. Always wipe down any tools that it touches. Do not apply it onto a pcb directly. And most importantly wipe down any components that you apply it too
LeoBinkowski

Post by LeoBinkowski »

One drop is usually all I need per connection, but yes, brake cleaner is far cheaper and likely safer.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

LeoBinkowski wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:56 pm One drop is usually all I need per connection, but yes, brake cleaner is far cheaper and likely safer.
brake cleaner gets a bad rep because ppl think it's some corrosive crazy stuff - but it's actually what they use for dry cleaning clothes. It evaporates very quickly and is surprisingly safe on plastic. We use it for everything. And i have this little fun video coming up where I'll be using brake clean on something... because you'll see why shortly haha. no spoilers!
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

How does Deoxit compare to this stuff?
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

superbenk wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:39 pm How does Deoxit compare to this stuff?
i think deoxit is just a contact cleaner? Where stabiliaiaiaiant leaves behind a small amount of conductive residue.
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

Looks like you got some stuck keys there. 🤣🤣
masto

Post by masto »

DJ Sures wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:21 am
superbenk wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:39 pm How does Deoxit compare to this stuff?
i think deoxit is just a contact cleaner? Where stabiliaiaiaiant leaves behind a small amount of conductive residue.
They make quite a few different products. I recently picked up some of their “FaderLube”, which is intended for conductive controls like sliders and switches.

Where these products start crossing over into the hi-fi audio community, which is basically 99% magical thinking, you find a lot of extremely strong and uninformed opinions. I just follow the manufacturer’s advice.

ook ook