Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

News, updates, and discussions around the official NABU.CA RetroNET Internet Adapter.
superbenk

Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

Post by superbenk »

I don't think this exists yet but would it be possible to add some command line flags and/or an INI-style config file for the RetroNET IA? I've been using Cloud CP/M a lot more these days & it'd be nice if I could just set the IA to default to the "Cloud CP/M 2.2..." channel at startup. Having a config.ini or something would be nice for managing all the settings, honestly. I'm not sure how those settings are kept currently so maybe this already exists somewhere that I'm not aware of?
- Ben
superbenk

Re: Command line flag and/or config file to set default channel?

Post by superbenk »

Ah, I see it creates a

Code: Select all

$HOME/NABU Internet Adapter/config.xml
file. But I still don't see a way to set the default channel via the config.xml file.
- Ben
RetroTechChris

Post by RetroTechChris »

I'm using an adapter that I wrote for the most part, but back when I was using this adapter on my Raspberry Pi, I wrote a script to navigate to the channel I wanted and select it. You can search for it on Discord.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

Any search terms I should be using to find it? My Discord search foo seems to be on the weak side.
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

That's a good idea - I'll make that change quickly here for you. There's also the ability to change channels from a program, but I didn't publish the program. Some people call it headless, but I originally called it IA Control when I first presented it in January.

Let me make the IA change for you - and then I'll release the IA Control program too. That'll be useful.

We're watching a movie pretty soon so that means i can write some code :) I'll publish it shortly
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

This change is done, but I will also work on something else tonight. I'll publish the new version tomorrow after I finish the other change I'm working on. :)
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Here you go: viewtopic.php?t=57

I decided not to finish the idea I was working on. The "headless" or IA Control is a silly option, and I can't see why it would be used. It seems there's so much more ability with cloud cpm that loading nabu channel programs is rarely ever done. Maybe one day, if I'm bored and out of ideas, I'll finish it. But right now, it doesn't seem to be a helpful feature.
allinretro

Post by allinretro »

Would the "Headless Internet Adapter" allow a person to use a raspberry pi without a monitor to feed the channel list to NABU on bootup? I could see myself buying a NABU Adapter, gutting the case and building in a Small Linux computer or Rasberry PI to run the IA on. No monitor would be required if you could somehow choose the channels from the NABU on bootup.

That would be the only useful scenario I could see for the Headless IA.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

Agreed & id honestly like to do this.
- Ben
masto

Post by masto »

I assume the reason for putting something in an old adaptor box is to avoid the cable tethering it to your computer. IMO, a more flexible approach to put in the box would be an RS422 to ethernet bridge. I'm using this one with my NABU and it works well.

Then you can basically run any IA (that supports TCP) elsewhere on your network and control the show from there. I have nabud on my linux container server in the closet.

ook ook