NABU How-To & Repair Guide

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
tastypies

NABU How-To & Repair Guide

Post by tastypies »

I've started putting together an 'unofficial' NABU How-To guide that aims to capture some of the information shared on this forum in the hope that it's useful to new (and perhaps also experienced) users.

Feel free to contribute/point out errors/make suggestions/etc - the document sources are in github (https://github.com/dimitrit/nabu-howto), but for your convenience and delectation, the latest version of the document is also attached to this post.

Enjoy!
D. :)

[Edited to include latest version of the guide]
Attachments
nabu-howto.pdf
Unofficial NABU How-To Guide (v.3)
(6.24 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Last edited by tastypies on Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DJ Sures

Re: Unofficial NABU How-To Guide

Post by DJ Sures »

Noice - can you adjust the cable instructions to specify that it is RS422 standard to use Twisted Pair (i.e., repurpose a network cable)? If no twisted pair is available, the RS422 portion should be as short as possible and shielded on only one side (PC or NABU, not both) to avoid a ground loop.
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

Only other suggestion I have is to pin the latest version to the front post in the topic. Which is my post. So that won't work.

Maybe this gets moved to a more appropriate topic where the latest version can be tracked easily.
tastypies

Post by tastypies »

Updated version, which emphasises the need for twisted-pair RS-422 cable, attached.

Not sure how to make a forum post 'sticky' - perhaps the document could be included in the 'quiver' on the website instead?

[Latest version of the guide attached to first post]
Last edited by tastypies on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

An even better idea!
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

the thread has been sticky since u created it :D That's something leo and I can do. I would happily put it on the quiver! Let me know when you're good to go. Get some more feedback and ideas of what can be added

maybe how to wire the keyboard emulator? Since it looks like several nabus are being sold without keyboards
productiondave

Post by productiondave »

I was confused with the other topic over in forum suggestions and project ideas. Maybe that one can be sent on a trip to Belize?
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

What's the plan to keep this up to date, though? Wouldn't having this in a wiki or something make more sense than a PDF?
- Ben
tastypies

Post by tastypies »

What's the plan to keep this up to date, though? Wouldn't having this in a wiki or something make more sense than a PDF?
The LaTeX sources for the document are in github. Because LaTeX is essentially 'plain-text' it is simple to work with and easy to version, etc. And depending on your toolchain you could generate output in pretty much any format, but I personally like PDF - easy to read, easy to search, easy to share, etc., etc.

Anyways, a new version of the document with keyboard cable instructions is attached - note I haven't actually made one of these, so perhaps someone could double check the instructions and let me know if anything needs correcting or clarification.

Enjoy,

[Latest version of the guide attached to first post]
Last edited by tastypies on Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

tastypies wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:36 pm
The LaTeX sources for the document are in github. Because LaTeX is essentially 'plain-text' it is simple to work with and easy to version, etc. And depending on your toolchain you could generate output in pretty much any format, but I personally like PDF - easy to read, easy to search, easy to share, etc., etc.

Anyways, a new version of the document with keyboard cable instructions is attached - note I haven't actually made one of these, so perhaps someone could double check the instructions and let me know if anything needs correcting or clarification.

Enjoy,
Ah! I didn't realize it was in LaTeX. I must have missed that. Carry on! :)
- Ben