Nabu video

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
superbenk

Re: Nabu video

Post by superbenk »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:09 pm Oh that's too bad. You know what? I needed a solder sucker at my cabin last summer. I found this on Amazon:

I have to say, it's pretty awesome. I actually really enjoy using it and for the price, you can't go wrong. So if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, i'd recommend it!

Capture.PNG
Oh nice! That's WAAAAY cheaper than the Hako I always hear about. Going to have to add that to the short wishlist!
- Ben
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

superbenk wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:06 pm
DJ Sures wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:09 pm Oh that's too bad. You know what? I needed a solder sucker at my cabin last summer. I found this on Amazon:

I have to say, it's pretty awesome. I actually really enjoy using it and for the price, you can't go wrong. So if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, i'd recommend it!

Capture.PNG
Oh nice! That's WAAAAY cheaper than the Hako I always hear about. Going to have to add that to the short wishlist!
Totally! And it actually works. I was doubtful when I got it - but figured it would be worth trying it. Used it to recap my fat mac and se/30.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

Even better (for me) it's <$40 here in the States! :)
- Ben
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Ok, I gotta get one of those. Thx
TorontoNabu

Post by TorontoNabu »

Thanks DJ for the recommendation. My current method is age appropriate for the Nabu, mine is probably older than the nabu:
desolder.jpg
desolder.jpg (8.98 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Got the chips & sockets so will be doing the old heat, suck, wick... repeat.
superbenk

Post by superbenk »

TorontoNabu wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:23 pm Thanks DJ for the recommendation. My current method is age appropriate for the Nabu, mine is probably older than the nabu:
desolder.jpg
Got the chips & sockets so will be doing the old heat, suck, wick... repeat.
This is exactly what I have currently. It works ok-ish but you kind of need 3 hands to hold everything just right (could be just me). I'd love a motorized one.
- Ben
TorontoNabu

Post by TorontoNabu »

OK... successful surgery...
Had to cut out the little bugger to get all the legs out of the through holes:
dead-dram.jpg
The new and improved DRAM in socket:
new-dram-u22.jpg
And a good boot:
VideoOK.jpg
Now on to the adaptor failure...

Cheers
arcadeshopper

Post by arcadeshopper »

TorontoNabu wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:06 pm First power on for my Nabu and looks like I have a bad DRAM chip, U22 according to the Nabu PC Diagnostic manual by Rudy’s Retro Intel. Thanks Rudy for putting this together. I probed all the other Video DRAM chips and all look OK except U22, at lease they are output some data on Q, U22's Q is always low..

Tracking down some 4116 DRAM in Toronto, or ordering on line. Then will remove & replace U22 with socket & working chip.

Any recommendations best methods to remove board and replace this part?

bad-video-1.png
bad-video-2.png
bad-video-3.png
imho it's better to replace a 4116 with a 4164 modified.. here's a ti99 thread where i discuss this;
https://forums.atariage.com/topic/25792 ... liability/
MagnumPEI

Post by MagnumPEI »

DJ Sures wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:09 pm I have to say, it's pretty awesome. I actually really enjoy using it and for the price, you can't go wrong. So if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, i'd recommend it!

The price for this just dropped from $59.99 to $36.99 (Canadian) and with $3 coupon it's $33.99. (...which unfortunately put it under the $35 free shipping limit, so I had to get something else with it)
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

MagnumPEI wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 10:13 am
DJ Sures wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:09 pm I have to say, it's pretty awesome. I actually really enjoy using it and for the price, you can't go wrong. So if you don't have one of these in your arsenal, i'd recommend it!

The price for this just dropped from $59.99 to $36.99 (Canadian) and with $3 coupon it's $33.99. (...which unfortunately put it under the $35 free shipping limit, so I had to get something else with it)
you won't regret it for the price.

One bit of warning. When you press the button, it creates a sucking action. If you release the button, any solder in the tube falls out. So you do NOT want to release the button while the tube is over the circuit board :D Lesson learned!

What I do is suck the solder, and keep the button held. Move the sucker over to an old container, release the button and the solder falls out into the container.