Dead fan

Document what is being done to recover original NABU software and hardware, and discuss clever hacks for fixing the NABU.
c1ph3rpunk

Dead fan

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Visually inspected the NABU inside, all seemed well, it looked like I had the “fan stuck” issue but … it doesn’t spin, at all. Is there a known modern replacement for these? I’ll have to check the power supply first and make sure there’s voltage, but if there is, what’s a replacement look like?
tastypies

Re: Dead fan

Post by tastypies »

The NABU fan runs off mains power, and doesn't involve the PSU. The two things to check are the fuse (below the power switch) and the power switch itself. Assuming these are both ok, you may indeed have a dead fan.

Any 120V 80mm x 25mm fan should work as a direct replacement. You could also opt for a 5V or 12V fan, though wiring these to the original PSU may be 'interesting' as there are no spare 5V or 12V pins/terminals on the PSU. As I'm in the UK, I replaced both the fan and PSU (see the 'unofficial howto guide' for details).

DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

Will it spin with your hand? Or do you mean it won't spin at all under its own power?

It's a known issue for the fan motor to drop down a bit. There are instructions in the "unofficial" nabu repair guide here: viewtopic.php?t=67

But I like to call it the official one because it's the best out there so far!
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

I can manually spin it, and I can feel where the other issues is likely happening, but the motor isn’t even attempting to move.
DJ Sures

Post by DJ Sures »

The motor is very quiet and therefore not powerful. Did you attempt the instructions I sent you?
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

Well, if it’s that quiet, color me impressed. Haven’t had a chance to read read that over yet but will. Printing some of the other docs atm.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

By Jove, that did it, +1 for the howto. So much reading to do, it really did seem like a dead fan. It’s a lot quieter than I expected. Thanks.
c1ph3rpunk

Post by c1ph3rpunk »

tastypies wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:45 am The NABU fan runs off mains power, and doesn't involve the PSU. The two things to check are the fuse (below the power switch) and the power switch itself. Assuming these are both ok, you may indeed have a dead fan.

Any 120V 80mm x 25mm fan should work as a direct replacement. You could also opt for a 5V or 12V fan, though wiring these to the original PSU may be 'interesting' as there are no spare 5V or 12V pins/terminals on the PSU. As I'm in the UK, I replaced both the fan and PSU (see the 'unofficial howto guide' for details).

Interesting, I’ll keep that in mind if the PSU ever goes out completely, looks easy enough to swap in a modern one.

I looked up the original part, it’s available in the US for about $15 each if need be, almost looks like it’s still being made. I noticed it’s impedance protected, does that concept exist on a modern 5/12V fan or does it not matter?